Aaron Swain's blog about Southern Gospel Music, News, and other items of interest in the SG world.

Tony Greene Passes Away

September 28, 2010 By: Aaron Category: SG Artists, SG Industry News, SG Music, The Greenes, Uncategorized

After several early reports of his passing that were in error earlier today (he was taken off the ventilator but breathing on his own), Tony Greene passed away today at 4:25 PM. From the Singing News:

Anthony Elden Greene, known to most Southern Gospel music fans as “Tony,” passed away today, September 28th just before 4:30pm Eastern TimeĀ at the age of 41. Tony had been in Carolina Medical Center in Charlotte, N.C., since September 21 due to several health complications.

Tony is survived by wife, TaRanda, and their children, Isabella (age 6) and Jocelyn (age 2). He is also survived by his brother Tim, sister Kim Greene Hopper, and his mother, Carolyn Greene, and several nieces.

The son of (the late) Everette and Carolyn Greene, Tony was born in Boone, N.C., on October 17, 1968, the youngest of three children. By the early 1980s, Tony and his siblings were singing Southern Gospel music professionally as The Greenes, garnering several No. 1 songs and appearing on the nation’s leading concerts.

In addition to being noted as a gifted lead vocalist, Tony has also been included in the list of leading concert promoters of Southern Gospel music. Throughout the years, Tony’s promotions encompassed dozens of states, while providing Christian music in not only churches and auditoriums, but also aboard cruises, bus tours and more. He was also a key factor of the success of the long-running Gospel Singing Jubilee multi-day concert held in Boone, N.C., for almost 30 years.

Tony married the former TaRanda Kiser on February 13, 2001. Together, they continued the ministry of the Greenes, while also being involved in several other ventures that include work with Abraham Productions (concert promotions featuring the Singing In The Sun in Myrtle Beach, S.C., the Gatlinburg Gathering in Gatlinburg, Tenn., and other locations), and the Good Shepherd Funeral Home in Indian Trail, North Carolina.

On August 25, 2009, Tony underwent a successful kidney transplant, with TaRanda providing the donor kidney. He returned to traveling within a month and though he encountered some minor health difficulties, he continued with the Greenes until additional health issues forced his hospitalization on September 21, 2010.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

In tribute to Tony, here are the Greenes at NQC 2009 singing one of their best-known songs, “Hold On,” soon after Tony’s kidney transplant. Please pray for the family during this difficult time.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPXBnJOSx48

19 Comments to “Tony Greene Passes Away”

1. Connie Siders says:

I am very saddened by the death of Tony Greene. I will keep his family and friends in my prayers. There is a saying, “Only the good die young” At 41 he lived a short life yet made many contributions to Gospel Music. His voice will be missed here but heaven will sound so, so good.

Thanks for the article,
    Prayers,
    connie

2. Maureen Simpson says:

I am so saddened to hear of this loss. From what I’ve seen, he went through much. He had great faith, and he was loved very much. I can empathise with this story as I have stage 4. I called the Elders to pray for me and I’ve received healing – James 5:14. I believe in the power of prayer and I know Tony’s life has touched many. May his passing be seen as his life mission has been completed and even in death he submitted his life to God even when this sinful world held him captive through illness. God has triumphed, Tony has gone to sleep in Jesus….Rest in Peace my brother, Rest in Peace…..

3. Marianne Nieborg-Tolsma says:

Our deepest simpathy to the Greene-family, be strong and trust God.

4. Jean McCormick says:

Our hearts are sadden at the loss of Tony. May God wrap his loving arms around his family and draw them close. Only He can heal the broken hearted. Our prayers are with you. Jean

5. Billie Jo Rogers says:

I was so sad when I heard that Tony had passed away. I know that his wife and children will miss him very much. I will always smile when I think of the “Miss Claudella” story. I know that his family can now take comfort in the fact that he is not in pain anymore. God bless you all.

6. Iris Dunivent says:

My condolences to the Greene & Hopper families for the loss of your loved one. My heart aches for you dear people. May God be with you & provide you with peace & comfort! Much love to all of you.

7. Connie Richardson says:

I am so very sorry to hear about Tony. I will and have been praying. May God bring comfort to you TaRanda and Kim and all the rest of the family. I am very saddened by this. My heart really goes out to you all.

8. Patty Santoro says:

I am saddened by the loss of Tony. My prayers are with his family and
    friends. I know God has prepared a special place in Heaven for him.

9. linda richards says:

With a heavy heart full of saddness at the loss of Tony, I know our beloved brother in faith is now bringing a smile to our Lord’s glorious face with his humor! May the Comforter bring peace and joy to each of Tony’s family members and the knowledge of knowing that while we may be separated now from Tony, one day soon we will all be reunited with Tony in Heaven.

10. Susan adams says:

This is beautiful what a witness to the Lord watched my husband battle cancer for 15 years and the difficulty we went through Prayers and thoughts for the Greene family and friends

11. Janet ODell says:

Our sympathies, prayers, and love to Tony’s family and friends. May the grace and power of God sustain you at this time and forever.

12. Thorpe & Judy Steele says:

We are so saddened to hear about the loss of Tony. He is with our Lord and Saviour, he feels no more pain. He is dancing and singing around God’s throne.
    “A SPECIAL PERSON”
    Memories have a pattern
    A delightful tapestry,
    Of bright & cherished moments
    of days that use to be-
    Each thread recalls some kindness
    some unselfish little dead;
    Some words of warm encouragement,
    Some help in time of need…..
    Though the patterns run and endless
    thread of gold.
    That symbolizes all the love these
    precious memories hold.

Instead of the iron crown of suffering Tony
    wore for solong, he now wears a golden crown of GLORY!!!!!

May the memory of Tony give you comfort and the love of God give you peace.

13. I am praying for the family. I can’t listen to this without crying. Listened to the gaither new dvd and had him on there talking and can’t believe that Tony is now gone. But no more suffering for him and God will help his family through this darkest night.

14. Debbie Billings says:

A Great Loss, But Tony is singing in Heaven with our LORD. God Bless His Family!

15. Sheila Stallings says:

Pray is the key. Please know I am praying for you TaRanda, and the children. God will be there in the time of need. I know there is NO words I or anyone can say. Just know You are in our prays.

With love

Sheila

16. Debbie Ward says:

God has taken another angel home. Tony was a great and humble man. A man that you knew was a Christian just by looking at him. He is in heaven singing with the angels sitting right beside the Father. You and your family are in our prayers as you go through this difficult time. May God wrap his arms around you and let you feel his peace and love.

17. Rena Allen says:

What a shock! I heard the Greenes when they came to Tri Cities Wa. and what a blessing. When one of my daycare children died at 4 years old their Jesus has a Rocking Chair got me through many dark days! Tony you will be missed and I will pray for your family and your beautiful little girls! God knows what He is doing so God must really need you in Heaven!

18. Sandra de Souza says:

It is only most recently that I have become acquainted with Tony and Taranda’s music, but they will forever have a place in my heart. My heart is so sadden by such a great loss, but it is lifted when I remember the love they shared for God and for each other. I am so thankful that I was able to know of them. I pray that the promises of God will always be the family’s sustaining comfort.

19. I have just witnessed the way a trackback / Pingback worked because when I visited my blog dashboard today, I noticed that one visitor came from this location swainsmusings.com and I knew that I had linked to this article about Tony Greene but I had no idea that it would register here as a trackback / Pingback if I linked to it. Then I discovered I could leave a comment under the article to. I have an interesting story about Tony and Taranda Greene. Three days ago I was laying in bed awake, listening to a dvr recording of the Gaither Gospel Hour on the headphones, but not watching it on the tv. I heard Tony say somethiing about kidney transplant and decided to search to learn more since my mom had died at age 69 of a stroke but before she died she spent 15 years on peritoneal dialysis and a short time on hemodialysis from kidney failure. I discovered that Tony had passed away so that Gaither Gospel Hour program had to have been recorded some time before he died, but after he had discovered that his wife was a perfect match for being a donor of a kidney. I felt that I might be able to help the three surviving members of the family so I blogged about it today. The post has made number one in the following list of top posts on my blog site:
    Top Posts & Pages
    Today These posts on your site got the most traffic.

Title Views